Kentucky Heritage Council
Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board to meet Monday to consider eight National Register nominations
FRANKFORT, Ky. – The Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board will consider eight sites for listing in the National Register of Historic Places – including the Lexington Veteran’s Administration Hospital, two schools, a church and one historic district – during a meeting at 10 a.m. Monday, Dec. 19, at the Paul Sawyier Public Library, 319 Wapping St., Frankfort.
In addition to the VA Hospital, authors will present their nominations for the John J. Walton House and Thomas Zane Roberts House and Workshop in Boone County, the Annville Institute in Jackson County, Charles D. Jacob Elementary School in Louisville, St. Therese Church in Lee County, the Wallace Park Historic District in Paducah, and the Forsythe-Shewmaker House in Mercer County.
The review board is charged with evaluating eligibility criteria for National Register nominations from Kentucky prior to their submission to the National Park Service (NPS), which administers the program in partnership with state historic preservation offices, including the Kentucky Heritage Council (KHC). Approved nominations are forwarded to the NPS, an agency of the U.S. Department of the Interior, for final determination of eligibility, with a decision required within 45 days of receipt.
A description of each nomination follows. Complete nominations and photos may also be accessed at the KHC website, www.heritage.ky.gov/natreg/.
The National Register is the nation’s official list of historic and archaeological resources deemed worthy of preservation. Kentucky has the fourth highest number of listings in the nation – following New York, Massachusetts and Ohio. Listing can be applied to buildings, objects, structures, districts and archaeological sites, and proposed sites must be significant in architecture, engineering, American history or culture, or possess a special role in the development of our country.
National Register status does not affect property ownership rights but does provide a measure of protection against adverse impacts from federally funded projects. Owners of National Register properties may qualify for federal or state tax credits for certified rehabilitation of these properties or by making a charitable contribution of a preservation easement.
For more information, call the Heritage Council at 502-564-7005, ext. 120, or visit www.heritage.ky.gov.
# # #
An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Heritage Council / State Historic Preservation Office is responsible for the identification, protection and preservation of prehistoric resources and historic buildings, sites and cultural resources throughout the Commonwealth, in partnership with other state and federal agencies, local communities and interested citizens. This mission is integral to making communities more livable and has a far-ranging impact on issues as diverse as economic development, jobs creation, affordable housing, tourism, community revitalization, environmental conservation and quality of life. www.heritage.ky.gov
National Register nominations to be considered at the Dec. 19 Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board meeting:
John J. Walton House, Belleview vicinity – A log house originally constructed with a single room on top of another, dating to the mid-1840s. Changes to the home from the time of its construction include a rear addition with a porch added in the late 19th century, and the addition of a chimney, electricity and a bathroom in the early- to mid-20th century. It is being nominated under Criterion C, property that embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period or method of construction, in the historic context “Log Construction in Boone County, 1789-1900.” According to the author, Margo Warminski, “The house’s two-story, single-pen plan is uncommon in the county, with only three examples recorded. Its ‘stacked’ form represents efficiency in effort and materials, enabling the builder to add space without resorting to complicated construction techniques. As such it represents ingenuity and conscious choice in the design of a building type – the log house – too often misinterpreted as primitive and backward; too often romanticized, too little understood.”
Thomas Zane Roberts House and Workshop, Burlington vicinity – Constructed in 1900, this house is a two-story frame dwelling with a gently pitched, front-gable roof and an inset corner entry porch. It was designed and built by its original owner, a master carpenter as well as a farmer, miller and inventor. The interior was built with wainscoting, carved ceilings and elaborate woodcarvings fashioned by Thomas Roberts from a variety of fine hardwoods, including walnut and white birch. Beside the house stands Roberts’ former workshop, a frame structure built around 1900, where he created many of his inventions. The house is be nominated under Criterion B, property associated with the lives of persons significant in our past, for its association with Roberts (1851-1925), who created useful products for his own use on home and farm during the late-19th and early-20th centuries. It is being nominated in the historic context of “Inventors in Boone County, 1880-1991.”
Lexington Veterans Administration Hospital, 2250 Leestown Road – Known currently as the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, the Lexington VA Hospital complex includes 135 acres and 34 contributing resources, the majority of which are buildings constructed from 1931 to 1950. Contributing resources include those that retain integrity and were utilized and/or constructed by the hospital during the historic district’s period of significance from 1930 to 1950. The district includes the monumental main building, patient ward/treatment buildings, a recreation building, kitchen/dining hall/boiler house/garage building, residential quarters, and maintenance/utility buildings, loosely grouped by original function. These exhibit Colonial Revival and Classical Revival architectural style and ornamentation to create a cohesive architectural campus. The site is being nominated under Criterion A, property associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history, as well as Criterion C for its architectural significance.
Annville Institute, 190 Campus Drive, Annville – The campus of the Annville Institute was developed between 1909 and 1960 as a work of the Women's Board of the Reformed Church in America, to educate children in that part of Jackson County when few other schools were available at that time. Of the property’s 122 acres, 21 acres are proposed for listing, including nine contributing buildings and structures. These include Lincoln Hall, circa 1923, a Colonial Revival building with a cut rock foundation; Tanis Chapel, circa 1916; Lansing Hall, circa 1923, the largest building on campus; Hacker Gym, circa 1930; a farm barn and silo dating to 1914-15; and matching gate pillars at the west entrance of the campus constructed in 1944 of field stone and mortar. It is being nominated under Criterion A, significant for its historic role in local education, and was evaluated within the context “Education in Jackson County, 1900-1960.”
Charles D. Jacob Elementary School, 3670 Wheeler Ave., Louisville – Located in a residential area, this two-building complex consumes the eastern half of a city block in the Jacobs neighborhood in the city’s South End. The property consists of a school constructed in 1912 with Craftsman and Colonial Revival elements, and a larger second building designed by Louisville architect J. Meyrick Colley, constructed in 1932 in the Moderne style. The two buildings are connected by a small enclosed breezeway. It is being nominated under Criterion C, architecturally significant within Louisville for its presentation of two types of construction, within the historic context of Craftsman and Art Deco styles in Louisville. According to the author, T. Dade Luckett, “While the 1912 building’s architect has not yet been determined, each building is surely the product of an architect’s attempt to use forward-looking design to signal the local school board’s interest in providing updated and progressive educational methods within its walls.”
St. Therese Church, 4377 KY 399, Heidelberg vicinity – St. Therese Church and Oratory is a white, wood frame clapboarded church on a concrete block foundation. The building was constructed in 1948 from the original Contrary Creek Settlement School Church, which was located on another site within the larger St. Therese property. The settlement school church was erected in the 1920s before the construction of KY 399 and became the first Catholic Church in eastern Kentucky. Later, lacking funds to build a new church, the local Catholic community disassembled the original church and rebuilt this newer church, with a different form, it in its current location. The residence portion of the building consists of two small bedrooms, a parlor, kitchen and priest’s quarters. It is being nominated under Criterion A and is significant within the historic context Growth of the Roman Catholic Church in Eastern Kentucky, 1808-1961.
Wallace Park Neighborhood District, including Bucker, Maple, Lone Oak and Forest Circle roads, Paducah – The nomination for this historic district consists of 156 contributing structures. The proposed district was originally developed by private investors beginning in 1923 as an affluent residential neighborhood. Incorporated into the city limits by 1926, it evolved into a thriving middle- and upper-class subdivision. The streets are characterized by lots of variable size, with regular setbacks and moderate-to-substantial homes in a variety of early- and mid-20th century architectural styles. The district covers approximately 75 acres and comprises 145 single-family homes, eight multi-family homes, one religious facility and two contributing sites, constructed between 1860 into the early 1960s. The neighborhood developed over a period of 38 years, beginning with the sale of the land that was part of the original Wallace family plantation and subsequently known as Wallace Park. It is being nominated under Criterion A, significant within the historic context “Residential Subdivision Development in Paducah, 1860-1961.”
Forsythe-Shewmaker House, 603 Vanarsdall Road, Harrodsburg vicinity – A two-story, L-shaped brick house on a mortared cut-stone foundation, featuring a two-story addition to the side and a 1½-story kitchen. The house dates to the early 1830s and is constructed in Federal and Greek Revival styles, with an asphalt shingle roof and gable-end brick chimneys. According to the author, the interior fabric of the house is remarkably intact. The nomination includes a two-room brick slave quarters located northeast of the dwelling, heated by interior gable end brick chimneys, with a dry-laid stone foundation and asphalt shingle roof. It is being nominated under Criterion C, noted for embodying the distinctive characteristics of domestic architecture in the second quarter of the 19th century in rural Mercer County, when houses were turning from settlement-era Georgian and Federal styles toward Greek Revival expressions.